Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a wife Sponsor a retired husband?
Does someone knows if I can sponsor my husband? I am being offered a management level job in AD and I have 2 kids and one husband. He will not be working.

Also, how does a package of 32K per month looks like? Will it allow us to live decently? I have one homeschooled son and only needs to worry to send one child to school. Health is not an issue. I have to be able to pay rent (3 bedrooms) and feed my family.

Thanks for your help!

Juliette;

Financially, you'll be fine at 32k / month even in AD as long as you don't want to live in a palace. What you save will depend very much on what you earn however you should certainly be very comfortable.

As far as I know, wives can only sponsor their husband if they (the wife) is a doctor, lawyer, etc. Degree holder isn't enough. So you might like to explain to your prospective employer the situation - and if they're keen on you then they could arrange 'very part-time' work for your husband to get around the issue Smile

Assuming you are both have 'suitable' passports the other - quite reasonable - alternative would be for your husband to take you all camping to Oman every two months Smile ... or worst case fly to Doha and back (250$, 3 hours) every 60 days ... although do check with your employer first as otherwise Mr X won't be able to get a local licence, and you'll be stuck with the expense of a hire car Sad

(You need a local licence to drive a local (non-hire) car. You can only get a local licence if you have a residency permit)

HTH - Stuart
UK- 22 years
Turkey- 10 years
Czech, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Romania- 1 year each
Egypt- 6 months
Germany, France, Spain, Italy etc- bought the T-shirts
... working in design/construction, living in Brisbane ...

32K/month... You'll live very well... Trust me!!

[quote="Stuart"]Juliette;

Sorry it took so long to respond, I had to figure out how it works...Thank for your reply, I was not sure these forums worked but I see that they do!

Financially, you'll be fine at 32k / month even in AD as long as you don't want to live in a palace. What you save will depend very much on what you earn however you should certainly be very comfortable.

[b]I do not need a palace! So I guess I'll do fine. [/b]

As far as I know, wives can only sponsor their husband if they (the wife) is a doctor, lawyer, etc. Degree holder isn't enough. So you might like to explain to your prospective employer the situation - and if they're keen on you then they could arrange 'very part-time' work for your husband to get around the issue Smile

Assuming you are both have 'suitable' passports the other - quite reasonable - alternative would be for your husband to take you all camping to Oman every two months Smile ... or worst case fly to Doha and back (250$, 3 hours) every 60 days ... although do check with your employer first as otherwise Mr X won't be able to get a local licence, and you'll be stuck with the expense of a hire car Sad

(You need a local licence to drive a local (non-hire) car. You can only get a local licence if you have a residency permit)

Well, I guess this is my first reality check with your part of the world. I suppose I am not alone in my case...Thanks for the tips...my prospective employer knows about my family situation already but maybe this has not raised a red flag so I will make sure to bring it up again.

Brisbane Wrote:32K/month... You'll live very well... Trust me!!

I like the baby!! It is hilarious. Thanks for the reassuring comment!

If you have no outstanding loans/mortgages in your home country then AUD32k/month should be reasonable living.

Depending on where your work will be and where you want to live you'd prob want to budget around 120k/annum for a villa - guessing u'd go down this avenue as you are coming from the land where living large is more than a catchy phrase. Question though, I would have thought in a management role your accomodation would be provided/paid for by employer? Might want to check whether you get housing, transport or living allowances on top of the AUD32k - the first 2 will make up the majority of your living expenses and normally are provided in an expat package on top of stated base salary.

Anywayz, there are heaps of other costs to consider, if you want to take this offline drop me an email/pm with more details.
-Driven by Precision-

Depending on where your work will be and where you want to live you'd prob want to budget around 120k/annum for a villa - guessing u'd go down this avenue as you are coming from the land where living large is more than a catchy phrase. Question though, I would have thought in a management role your accomodation would be provided/paid for by employer? Might want to check whether you get housing, transport or living allowances on top of the AUD32k - the first 2 will make up the majority of your living expenses and normally are provided in an expat package on top of stated base salary.

Thanks I had not thought about this, but then again, it is very hard to get information on what constitutes a normal package...this forum is very helpful and during my next conversation, I will certainly know to ask the question! And I will make sure to drop a pm with more questions since you offered it! There are so many loose ends...

Not a problem Juliette - believe me its only through experience that you come to learn of these things.
-Driven by Precision-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russian man shoots his wife in an attempt to slaughter a pig admin 0 6,778 07-29-2011, 02:13 AM
Last Post: admin