Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any kitesurfers here?
Does anyone on this forum kitesurf?

I'm looking for advice on buying gear and bringing it over - will be shipping over our furniture from the UK.

Cheers,
Shafique

well I am not sure, but there was an accident a couple of months ago when a kid was carried away bu the strong wind to hit a near by building on shore and die instantly !! since then I heared that they banned this type of activity or sport in brisbane yet I am not 100% sure !! :!:

I think it was a parasailing(?) accident (where you are attached to a parachute and pulled along by a boat). The line got detached and the young boy was killed when hit a building.

This is different from kitesurfing (but this also can be dangerous, I hear).

Cheers,
Shafique

Correct, that incident was a parasailing accident.

There are loads of kite surfers here, they all congregate on Wollongong beach just down from the Park. Not allowed on Fridays anymore though.

I'd wait and buy kit when you get here after talking to these guys about the best stuff.

Although you have to be qualified before they'll let you take to the beach, there are quite a few teachers and there's a Brisbane kite surfers association, just google it.

Thanks cocoholic - I've been reading up on it and agree that I'll wait to speak to the guys before buying. It looks like there is quite a learning curve.

We stayed at a hotel in Mauritius last year which was next to a popular kitesurfing beach - looks great. However, I didn't have the time to take it up as we were only there for a few days.

Cheers,
Shafique