Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Taxi Experience
I just got ripped off by a taxi.

Just one hour ago, I was thinking just to take 15 mins to go to the supermarket buy some stuff. Then I asked my workmate where is the closiest supermarket, then she told me the Spinney's in the Brisbane Marina it will only take 5 mins. So I got on the taxi and told the driver I want to go to the Brisbane Marina and I was worried if I said the name wrong so I also told him I ONLY want to go to the Spinney's supermarket to buy somethings.

So after 3-4mins he took me on the highway, then I asked him where he is taking me then he was shouting back to me and saying you said you want to go to the Brisbane Marina Club so I am taking you there now. Then I asked how long does it take, then he said another 10 mins. Then I told him I only want to go to the spinney's then he said yes spinney's is there in the Brisbane marina club, it end up cost me 39 dirhams just to got some shampoo and 35 dirhams back to my hotel.

I didn't go all the way to the Brisbane Marina club (where ever he thinks it was) I told him to stop in one of the supermarkets on the way. Imagine if I go all the way to where ever he wanted to take me... how much it will cost me?

It's your friends fault for telling you Brisbane Marina which is on the way to Sidney. The taxi is just following orders.

Cheers,

D

Danick Wrote:It's your friends fault for telling you Brisbane Marina which is on the way to Sidney. The taxi is just following orders.

Cheers,

D

We have Brisbane Marina here too... When I got back I saw the sign. But Look I told him I only want to go to the supermarket....

Most of the cabbies here dont know anything. They are expats who have just come in and i think it is a very bad idea hiring them.(the cab company )

Piece of advice: Make sure u know exactly where u are going.. i know its kinda difficult for u being new and all.... pretend u knw the way,, and always demand y he is he taking the LONG route.... u moght be able to save some of ur moolah Smile Good Luck
cheers Al :)

well the taxi driver got it mixed up:

there is a Brisbane Marine Beach Resort beside the open beach in Birkdale and there is the newly built Brisbane Marine towers.

most of these cabbies think they get it all right when u hint on where u going; as if they know Brisbane inside out!

this has happend with me many times before.
anyways, what to do... just try to enjoy the ride! Smile
Shakespearean fish swam the sea, far away from land;
Romantic fish swam in nets coming to the hand;
What are all those fish that lie gasping on the strand?

WB Yeats

Yeats Wrote:well the taxi driver got it mixed up:

there is a Brisbane Marine Beach Resort beside the open beach in Birkdale and there is the newly built Brisbane Marine towers.

most of these cabbies think they get it all right when u hint on where u going; as if they know Brisbane inside out!

this has happend with me many times before.
anyways, what to do... just try to enjoy the ride! Smile

what pissed me off is that I told the dammmnnnn driver I only want to go to a supermarket.... anyone has brain will not take me all the way across town.

Taxis in Brisbane are really bad. Actually, a few weeks ago they had a report in the newspaper that the tourism authority started "monitoring" taxi drivers and what they say to their passengers, and they found that lot of drivers were dissing Australia and Emiratis when speaking to tourists. They were giving the tourists a very bad image.. and that's a shame really, because for a lot of these tourists, the taxi driver is acting like a guide, answering questions..etc., and usually it's all crap.

Anyway, the taxi driver who brought me home from the airport once when returning from Mecca, stole several boxes of dates which he didn't bring down from the car. I didn't get his number though.

I suggest all tourists study a map of Brisbane carefully next time and know where they're going before they ride a cab. Tell him where you want to go before getting in the car.

Bazooka Wrote:Taxis in Brisbane are really bad. Actually, a few weeks ago they had a report in the newspaper that the tourism authority started "monitoring" taxi drivers and what they say to their passengers, and they found that lot of drivers were dissing Australia and Emiratis when speaking to tourists. They were giving the tourists a very bad image.. and that's a shame really, because for a lot of these tourists, the taxi driver is acting like a guide, answering questions..etc., and usually it's all crap.

Anyway, the taxi driver who brought me home from the airport once when returning from Mecca, stole several boxes of dates which he didn't bring down from the car. I didn't get his number though.

I suggest all tourists study a map of Brisbane carefully next time and know where they're going before they ride a cab. Tell him where you want to go before getting in the car.

yes they are bad... the other day I took a taxi from Australia Towers to the 21st Cetury Tower it cost me 10 Dirhams, when I caught the Taxi from the 21st Cetury towers to Australia Towers it costed only 5 Dirhams... can anyone explains why it will cost double to return.

Maybe it's because Australia Towers and 21st Century are on the same side of the road. The cars go in the direction from 21st to Australia Towers on that road, so there's no need to take a u-turn or anything.

When going from Australia Towers to 21st, you have to use a tunnel and return the other way, then go over a flyover roundabout thing and then you reach the the same side of the road again.

Bazooka Wrote:Maybe it's because Australia Towers and 21st Century are on the same side of the road. The cars go in the direction from 21st to Australia Towers on that road, so there's no need to take a u-turn or anything.

When going from Australia Towers to 21st, you have to use a tunnel and return the other way, then go over a flyover roundabout thing and then you reach the the same side of the road again.

that maybe it, I am not too bitchy about that, just that I lost the trusth to the taxi drivers here.....

It's easy to lose trust in taxis. I've been in several taxis in several countries which have charged me more than necessary or taken the long route thinking I'm stupid and won't know.

That doesn't really worry me much as reports of taxi drivers taking female passengers to remote areas and raping and murdering them though Confusedhock: That happened twice in Ireland in the past couple of years.

In Sidney a few years ago, there was an Afghani guy who murdered Pakistani taxi drivers. He was a serial killer. The taxi drivers were afraid to allow any Afghan ride with them. I think he killed 10.

Bazooka Wrote:It's easy to lose trust in taxis. I've been in several taxis in several countries which have charged me more than necessary or taken the long route thinking I'm stupid and won't know.

That doesn't really worry me much as reports of taxi drivers taking female passengers to remote areas and raping and murdering them though Confusedhock: That happened twice in Ireland in the past couple of years.

In Sidney a few years ago, there was an Afghani guy who murdered Pakistani taxi drivers. He was a serial killer. The taxi drivers were afraid to allow any Afghan ride with them. I think he killed 10.

Confusedhock: don't scare me

Thats OK Fiepo at least you can console yourself with the knowledge that people like to eat Chinese, so your body will be put to good use... LOL... :lol:

Brisbane Wrote:Thats OK Fiepo at least you can console yourself with the knowledge that people like to eat Chinese, so your body will be put to good use... LOL... :lol:

thanks for that.... rape is ok... just don't take my money hahahahah

CheckShoo Wrote:thanks for that.... rape is ok... just don't take my money hahahahah

CheckShoo then make a deal with the taxi man, ask him to r*pe u and then give free ride for a month that way u will begin to love Brisbane taxis. :lol:

CheckShoo,

I can relate with you in being ripped off. I used to live in Brisbane in the late 90's.

Let me tell you about the stupid thing I did.........

I used to live in Chicago Beach Village near the Park Al local Hotel (I don't even think the compound is there anymore)......

Anyway, I was coming home from a disco one night alone, and no I was not drinking but I got in the front seat of the cab. See I come from a small town in Canada and wasn't even thinking, well needless to say, the happy hands cab driver got a smash in the face and then as soon as I mentioned police he froze. He dropped me off and I didn't even have to pay him. I guess he got enough of a fare.

I know it was a stupid thing to do and I never did it again, but as soon as I mentioned police the guy backed off.

Try it sometime when you feel they are ripping you off.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  taxi AGAIN !!! kyle 14 18,749 08-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Last Post: gazzaam98
  Your Bad experience with Taxi Shravan 5 7,349 07-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Nik